The truth of the matter is there are no naturally born leaders – I believe it’s a learned behavior. There is a “Norma Ray” in all of us. We all have the capacity to lead but not everyone sees themselves as leadership material. What key characteristics do you believe a good leader should have? Think about a leader that you admire. What is it about their leadership style that you identified with? What made you decide to follow them? If you decided to follow them – what makes you think that no one would want to follow you? When will you know you’ve made the transition from follower to leader?
You know you’re a leader when:
- When you care more about the success of others then your own.
- When what you say and what you do are congruent – when you are talking the talk and walking the walk.
- When you can give up some control and put your faith and trust in others.
- When you realize you’re not the most important person in the conversation.
- When you never lose sight of your goals and work towards accomplishing them.
- When you live your authentic life. The kind of life you envisioned for yourself.
- When others choose to follow you.
- When you decide honesty, integrity and treating others with respect is non negotiable no matter the consequence.
- When you see a wrong and you work tirelessly to make it right.
- When you care more about what you think of yourself then what others think of you.
- When you decide who you want to follow
- When you decide to do what is right – not what is popular
- When you can agree to disagree and move on.
- When you can let go of the past and not let it interfere with the future.
Henry Kissinger, former USA Secretary of State and National Security Advisor said that the task of a leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been. Wikipedia defines leadership as “a process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task – somebody who guides and directs others”. We are all leaders waiting for the right opportunity to shine. Waiting for the right opportunity to make a difference in our own way. 🙂
Copyright 2013. Brian Smith. Not to be reproduced without permission. Brian Smith – Author, Communications Expert and Management Consultant is available for keynote speaking, seminars and workshops. Visit http://briansmithpld.com to find out more.
“When others choose to follow you.” This is the only measure of leadership. The others listed are simply characteristics of “good” leadership.
Appreciate your comment and for taking the time to read my post. Much appreciated. – Cheers
Pingback: Interesting Articles for May | simplifypersonalproductivity
Thank you. I appreciate the support. Glad you enjoyed the article – Cheers