Why Women make better leaders can be summed up in just one word – “Empathy”. Empathy, the ability to be able to see a situation from another persons point of view. Women seem to be come by it naturally, while most men have to work at developing it. If there ever was a time for true leadership, it’s now. Dee Dee Myers, author of “Why Women Should Rule The World” believes that women are more successful running businesses because women can make people accountable for their actions, but they are also there to support them.
Women around the world are rewriting history. It’s easy to argue that men haven’t been doing such a great job lately. That’s not meant to be a political statement, I’m just stating the facts. Anna Crowe, CEO and Founder of Crowe PR believes that most women have a strong understanding of what drives and motivates people to perform at their personal best, and how to acknowledge different people for their performance.
“Many women, especially moms, are trained caretakers and know how to deal with crisis situations at home with compassion and patience. These attributes become very relevant when a women leader is dealing with crises situations whether this is related to HR or Clients.” – Huma Gruaz
Putting gender aside. Do you have what it takes to be a world class leader?
- True leaders understand themselves and how their attitude affects others.
- True leaders understand that they must communicate in a way that others will understand.
- True leaders understand that every situation is different, so they know they must behave and respond differently. One leadership style does not fit all.
- True leaders realize that they need their people more than their people need them. They understand that success is a team effort.
- True leaders know they don’t have to have all the answers, so they need to surround themselves with people who do.
- True leaders above all, understand that they must lead by example.
- True Leaders park their ego at the door and do what they need to do to complete the task and to reach the goal.
- True leaders understand that it doesn’t have to be just their way.
“Women make great leaders because we are flexible and agile. We can see the direction we thought we should take and we regroup and change course for the better. ” – Danita Harris
I could go on, but I think you get my point. Women deserve far more credit then they have been given. Gender shouldn’t be a factor in whether a person has what it takes to be a true leader. True leaders must master the ability to connect with others and build collaborative teams. True leaders must master the ability to communicate in a way that others will understand. True leaders must master the ability to teach others what they need to know and delegate successfully. If you’re looking to develop 21st Century leadership skills, then take a page out of their play book. You’ll be better for it and so will the people you lead.